While traveling Interstate 84 recently I saw a billboard for the Carmela Vineyards and wondered just how big the wine/grape industry has become on Idaho. Not that I'm a big wine drinker or have an itch to start a Mountain Home winery I was just curious. So I set out and investigated the Idaho grape and wine scene. I was surprised by the numbers.
The Pacific Northwest Numbers
|State/Province||Number of Wineries 2008|
|British Columbia *||138|
Did You Know – Idaho Wine
- The first winery in the Pacific Northwest was located in the Lewiston area of Idaho.
- Idaho had some world renowned wines prior to the US Prohibition era.
- Prohibition wiped out the wine industry until 1970.
- In the 1970's, the wine industry returned to Idaho but this time in the Snake River Valley.
- Approximately 58 wineries now call Idaho their home.